Service Corporation International and its affiliates and subsidiaries (including regional entities operating under the Dignity Memorial®, Rose Hills®, Neptune Society®, Neptune Cremation Society®, Neptune Cremation Service®, The Neptune Society of Northern California™, National Cremation Society®, National Cremation Service®, Cremation Society of Virginia™, Cremation Society of Pennsylvania™, Trident Society®, All Faiths Cremation Society™, Advantage®, Family Funeral Care®, Funeraria Buxeda®, Funeraria del Angel®, Making Everlasting Memories®, Neptune Memorial Reef®, DignitéMD, First Memorial Funeral Services® and other brands) (“SCI,” “we,” “us”) respect the privacy of our client families and website visitors in a manner that would be expected of a leading provider of funeral, cemetery and cremation related merchandise and services. We value our relationships with existing and prospective customers (“you”), and recognize that an essential element of those relationships is the trust and confidence you place in us to serve you and your family during your time of need.
Personal Information. “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, or describes, directly or indirectly, a particular individual, such as: name, address, email address, or phone number.
Information We Collect Online
Through the Sites. We may collect and store the following Personal Information when you submit it through our Sites. We may use this information for typical business purposes (including auditing our interactions with our customers or website visitors, for internal reporting purposes, or security and anti-fraud purposes) and as described more specifically below:
- Personal Identifiers. We receive personal identifiers that you provide to us (such as your name, phone number, email address, billing address, shipping address, date of birth, and social security number in certain instances) and use them to respond to your requests, to create new member accounts at your request, to fulfill your orders for merchandise and services, or to communicate with you for marketing and informational purposes (you may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time by using the unsubscribe link located in the email). We will also create a client number when you make a purchase so that we can identify you.
- Message Content. We collect the messages you submit to us through contact, sign-up, and purchase forms on the Sites, such as customer service requests, messages you would like us to provide to delivery recipients, and delivery instructions. We use this information to respond to and fulfill your requests, and to improve our Sites and our service and merchandise offerings.
- Audio and Visual Information. We receive any digital photographs and audio files you submit through the Sites. We post this information to public areas of the Sites at your direction.
- Financial Information. We receive financial information (such as payment card and bank account information) to process payments for merchandise and services you purchase on the Sites. We do not store your payment card information.
- Commercial Transaction Information. We collect and generate commercial transaction information (such as records of merchandise and services purchased) when you make purchases on the Sites. We use this information to fulfill your orders, to improve our service and merchandise offerings, to tailor our marketing efforts, and for internal reporting purposes.
- Geo-Location Information. Some of the information we collect, such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, may be used to estimate an approximate location of the device you are using to access our Sites in order to enhance and personalize the features and functionality of our Sites, including our mobile applications, and service offerings.
- Anonymous or Aggregated Information. We may de-identify or aggregate data and may use and disclose it for any business purpose.
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information. We may use the information you provide to create a profile about your preferences to offer you products and services in which we think you might be interested.
From Business Partners. We may receive some of the personal identifiers, message content, and commercial transaction information listed above from third-party business partners (such as floral, memorial, or insurance providers) related to your transactions with them that involve us providing you with merchandise or services. The Sites may also permit you to log-in and connect to the Sites with your social media account (such as Facebook), and we collect profile information about you from that social media website that you have made publicly available. We use this profile information for the same purposes as when we receive the information directly from you, as described above.
A “cookie” is a small data file that we transfer to your browser or mobile device. Most browsers provide controls allowing you to block receipt of cookies, to delete cookies, or to be prompted before cookies are received. Please note that, if you delete or choose not to receive cookies from our Sites, the functionality of the Sites may be impaired. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage or delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
We use third-party advertising services to serve advertisements on our behalf when you visit some of our Sites and other websites, third-party email services to send informational and marketing email to you, and third-party analytics services to help us understand and improve the usage of our Sites and the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. In some situations, we permit the companies providing these services to set and access cookies (and use similar data tools, such as “pixel tags” or “web beacons”) through our Sites and our emails, and these companies may collect, for example, your personal identifiers (such as IP address, device and browser identifiers and characteristics, and anonymous identifiers) and information about your device (such as operating system and language preferences) and your usage activity on the Sites (such as your interaction with our Sites, the link you used to reach them, and the content and advertising displayed on them and our content and advertising on other websites and online services) and use this information to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Sites and other non-affiliated websites and/or to provide analytical information for our Sites. Third-party companies also may collect and combine information about your online activities over time, on other devices, and on other websites or online services, if those websites and online services also use the same companies. Information about cookies and similar technology placed by third-party companies on our Sites and their related data practices is set forth below.
INFORMATION ABOUT DATA PRACTICES
(Partner Listing: https://help.adroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004450251-AdRoll-Pixel-Partners)
PURPOSE OF COOKIES
We are working towards alignment with self-regulatory advertising principles, such as the Digital Advertising Alliance Principles, which attempt to establish responsible privacy practices for digital advertising. You may learn more about advertising networks and how to opt out of receiving personalized advertisements from advertisers who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative or who subscribe to the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting the opt-out options of each of those organizations. Links to those sites are here:
Network Advertising Initiative:
- Browser Opt-Out: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/
Digital Advertising Alliance:
- Browser Opt-Out: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
Please remember that when you opt out of personalized advertising, you may continue to see online advertising on the Sites and/or our ads on other websites and online services.
Online Tracking / Do-Not-Track Signals
Currently, various Internet browsers offer a “Do-Not-Track” option. Because the providers of Do-Not-Track and similar signals do not yet operate according to common, industry-accepted standards, we currently do not respond to those signals. For more information about Do-Not-Track, please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Information We Collect at our Physical Offices and Other Locations, by Phone, and by Mail
We may collect and store the following Personal Information when you provide it to us at one of our funeral home or cemetery locations, at an informational pre-planning seminar we conduct, over the phone, or by mail. We may use this information for typical business purposes (including reviewing our interactions with our customers or for internal reporting purposes) and as described more specifically below:
- Personal Identifiers. We collect and maintain your personal identifiers (e.g., name, address, email address, telephone number, billing address, shipping address, date of birth, insurance policy number, your social security number in certain instances, and your signature) in order to provide you with the products and services you request from us pursuant to the terms of an advance (pre-need) or time-of-death (at-need) funeral or cemetery contract, to provide you with information about our products and services that you request from us, or to communicate with you for marketing and informational purposes (you may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time by using the unsubscribe link located in the marketing email). If you are the next of kin of record of an at-need or pre-need contract beneficiary, we may collect your information so that we can contact you in order to obtain your authorization (pursuant to state law or company policy) to provide services with regard to your family member or relation and for other point of contact purposes.
- Financial Information. We may collect your bank account information, credit-related information such as credit scores and life insurance policy information, or other financial information when we assist with financing your pre-need or at-need contract or when you apply for insurance or other financing. We may collect your financial information from any contract with us that you sign, from processing or administering your financial transactions, and occasionally, from credit reporting or collection agencies.
- Medical Information. In connection with insurance applications, we may collect pertinent health condition and medical history of the insured individual to help facilitate a purchase and use of insurance coverage. We may forward the information we collect to the third-party insurance company along with information concerning the related arrangements that you have made with us, so that the insurance company can provide insurance coverage to you.
- Commercial Transaction Information. We may collect certain information about your transaction history, including products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies. We may use this information internally to create records of your consuming history for audit purposes and in order to fulfill the terms of pre-need and at-need funeral and cemetery contracts you enter into with us, and as required pursuant to state funeral and cemetery laws regarding cemetery property and products purchased, and insurance and trust-funding laws.
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under State or Federal Law. To the extent permissible under applicable law, we may collect your age and gender for purposes of providing insurance and in order to provide you with certain products (including death certificates), and we may collect your ethnicity, religion and veteran status for the purposes of determining your product and service preferences and in order to market products and services we think would be of interest to you.
- Audio and Visual Information. At those locations where we employ surveillance cameras in public areas for security purposes, we may collect images of you for security and access control purposes.
- Anonymous or Aggregated Information. We sometimes de-identify or aggregate data we receive and may use and disclose it for various business purposes.
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information. We may in some cases use Personal Information you provide to make inferences about your preferences so that we can offer you products and services in which we think you might be interested.
Retention of Personal Information
We only keep information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law, such as to comply with recordkeeping and other legal obligations. There may also be residual information that will remain within our backup files, databases, and other records, which will not be removed or changed, except in accordance with retention policies.
Protecting Personal Information
We employ reasonable security measures to secure and protect the information we receive. Please remember, though, that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure.
We may provide affiliates and third parties with the Personal Information we collect (as described above) for our business purposes to assist us in providing products and services to you, including to process transactions, deliver products at your request, or to help us market products and services to you. We also disclose Personal Information as described below:
To Provide, Protect, and Improve Our Sites, Merchandise, and Services. We disclose Personal Information as necessary to operate our business, such as to third-party service providers and affiliates in connection with providing services to you or processing your transactions. For example, we may provide your name, telephone and address information, and a redacted credit card number to vendors, such as a local or online florist and cremation or memorial providers, to complete a transaction you have requested or otherwise at your direction. We require that those providers use Personal Information only for that purpose, and we also require assurances that they will appropriately protect Personal Information entrusted to them. We also may access, preserve, and disclose information if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to protect and defend our rights or property, or those of others. For example, we may provide information, including IP address information, to our service providers to protect the Sites, such as for fraud detection purposes.
To Comply with the Law and Legal Process. We may access, preserve, and disclose information concerning you if required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to comply with a legal obligation.
You May Share with Social Networking Websites. The Sites may provide options allowing you to share information with social networking websites, such as Facebook. Their use of the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies, and we are not responsible for how they treat the information.
No Use by Children Under the Age of 18
The Sites are not intended for use by children under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you may not use our Sites. If a parent or legal guardian posts an entry on behalf of a child under the age of 18 on an online guestbook or other section of the Sites, the parent or legal guardian must indicate that such entry is being made on behalf of the child by the parent or legal guardian. Caution and good judgment should be used in connection with any information provided concerning the child. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 18 years of age. If we believe that any information has been posted by a child under the age of 18, we will promptly delete that information. Parents may contact us using the methods set forth below to request that information concerning their child be removed from our Sites.
Certain jurisdictions impose specific legal requirements and grant privacy rights with respect to Personal Information, and we will comply with restrictions and any requests you submit as required by applicable law. For example, you may have the right to review, correct, and delete Personal Information we have about you, or to consent or withdraw consent to certain uses or sharing of Personal Information. You may be able to use the Sites to access and update the information that you have provided to us through your use of the Sites or otherwise. If you would like to request access to such information or that we update, correct, or delete any such information, please send an email to us at email@example.com.
When you make a request, we may require that you provide information and follow procedures so that we can verify your request and your jurisdiction before responding to your request. The verification steps we take may differ depending on your jurisdiction and the request you make. We will match the information that you provide in your request to information we already have on file to verify your identity. If we are able to verify your request, we will process it. If we cannot verify your request, we may ask you for additional information to help us verify your request.
We will respond to your request within the time period required by applicable law. However, we may not always be able to fully comply with your request, and we will notify you in that event.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act, California consumers (defined as California residents under the CCPA) have the right to request:
- Disclosures about, or access to, in a portable and (if technically feasible) readily usable form, the specific pieces and categories of Personal Information that we have collected about them in the 12 months preceding the request; the categories of sources of that information; the business or commercial purposes for collecting the information; and the categories of third parties with which the information was shared or sold in the 12 months preceding the request (we do not sell your Personal Information); and
- Deletion of the Personal Information we have collected about them, subject to certain exceptions.
California consumers also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment if they exercise the rights listed above.
To make a consumer rights request, California consumers may either: i) call us toll free at 1-866-805-9617, ii) submit a request online by clicking here, or iii) make a request in person at one of our funeral homes or cemeteries by completing a paper request form. Consumers will be required to submit their name, contact email address, contact phone number, full permanent address, contract number (if known), a purchase amount and description of a recent purchase (if known) and/or a purchase date, and provide a brief description of their relationship to us (e.g. pre-need or at-need contract purchaser; pre-need contract beneficiary; next of kin/family member; website visitor; other; authorized agent of any of the foregoing) so that we can verify the request.
California law permits California consumers to use an authorized agent to make consumer rights requests on their behalf. If you are an authorized agent of a California resident and are making a request on his or her behalf, you will be asked to provide proof of the California resident’s notarized written authorization (for example a notarized statutory power of attorney) showing that you have been granted the authority to submit a consumer rights request on behalf of the California resident. We will contact you at the contact information in order to request a copy of this document for verification purposes. To the extent that the notarized written authorization provided to us is insufficient, we will contact you for further verification. We may additionally contact the California resident in order to verify his or her identity, and to confirm your authority to make a consumer rights request on his or her behalf, prior to responding directly to you.
We are not currently selling your Personal Information and have not sold your Personal Information since January 1, 2020, the date the CCPA went into effect. We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information (as defined by California Civil Code §1798.83) about you that we collect on the Sites with other people or unaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes.
As explained above, we permit certain companies to place cookies and similar technology on the Sites and in our emails. A list of cookie providers and information about those providers’ related data practices can be found above in the section “Cookies and other Automatic Collection through the Sites.”
How to Contact Us with Questions
Your questions, comments and feedback are very important to us. For privacy-related questions, contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at:
Service Corporation International
Data Privacy Office, 10th Floor
1929 Allen Parkway
Houston, Texas 77019
Revised January 1, 2020.